ArosOpen is the annual weekend where model kit builders from Denmark and abroad gather in Aarhus to build together, enjoy their model friendships, and ultimately compete for the title of the best model of the year.
ArosOpen is divided into two parts:
- Saturday is dedicated to model builders and model-building clubs who have reserved building tables. They come together to build throughout the day and evening, with the only interruption being dinner.
- Sunday is open to spectators from 10 am to 5 pm. Entrence fee is 20 kr. for spectators. At 10:30 am, the competition begins, where models in approximately 20 different categories are evaluated by qualified judges from all over Denmark, all appointed by ArosOpen. The competition is expected to conclude at 4 pm, followed by the prize ceremony.
The models showcased at the event include military and civilian ships, aircraft, vehicles, science-fiction models, and characters.
During the event, professional vendors will have shops set up.
9/9 – 2023 Saturday
09.00 AM– 16.00 PM ArosOpen opens, Arrivals and Check-in.
12.00 PM – 16.00 PM Setting up models in the exhibition hall
16.00 PM Lecture (info later)
18.00 PM Gala dinner (The price is DKK 170 per person. Advance registration and payment is a prerequisite)
20.00 PM Lecture (info later)
10/9 – 2023 Sunday
08.00 AM Breakfast. The price for breakfast on Sunday is DKK 50 per person. Advance registration and payment is a prerequisite.
08.00 AM – 10.30 AM Arrival, Check-in and setting up models in the exhibition hall. The set-up must be completed before 10.30
10.00 AM The exhibition opens to the public. Both professional dealers and private individuals open their sales stands, and it is now possible to visit working model builders.
11.00 AM The judging panel is embarking on the great work of finding the best models.
16.00 PM Prize giving.
17.00 PM ArosOpen 2024 ends.
NB. It is not required to participate in Saturday’s program in order to participate in Sunday’s model competition.
It is possible to stay overnight at the school in a shared dormitory. The accommodation fee is DKK 50 per person. Please bring your own sleeping pad/air mattress and sleeping bag/duvet.
On Sunday morning, breakfast will be served at the school. The price for breakfast is DKK 50 per person.
Advance registration and payment are required.
- It is not allowed to run indoors
- Dogs and other pets are not allowed
- Smaller children must be accompanied by an adult
- It is not allowed to bring bags into the exhibition area – that includes camera bags and rucksacks.
- Smoking of cigarettes and e-cigarettes are not allowed on Strandskolens area. Smoking is allowed in the parking lot at the main entrance.
- In case of Covid rules in place, these must be followed
- For a class to be judged, there must be at least 4 participants. Are there fewer than 4, the models will be moved to the Miscellaneous class.
- Models that have been awarded previously at AROS Open are not allowed to be entered again.
- If a model is participating in a non-diorama class on a non-neutral base, then only the model will be judged, not the base or diorama.
- AROS reserve the right to reject models from the competition, if we believe it violate the spirit of AROS.
- Read the description of the model, if supplied
- Judges in the same class are encouraged to discuss the models, as there can be details that you don’t notice. Two pair of eyes are better than one.
- Asses the quality of the model’s joints, symmetry and quality of work with photoetch. Good quality could for instance be even joints and absence of sanding marks.
- Asses the quality of the model’s basic paint work, is applicable also weathering and decal work. Good quality could for instance be even paint coats, weathering is not under- or overdone, decals are placed correctly and symmetrically, and no silvering is present.
- Judged from personal experience and includes a judgement of the techniques used, both in construction and finishing.
- Asses if the model is on or in the landscape, if it is in agreement with the scale, if the diorama tells a story and finally if the scene is natural: Do the figures have a natural pose, is the overall impression true to nature and is the story the diorama tell clear.
- Masterclass is a class where the modeler have the opportunity to document his model to show how close to reality he is. The modeler choose the level of documentation he wishes to supply. Masterclass is – apart from the special and theme classes – the only class where a model is judged on it’s authenticity. Documentation must be maximum in a A4-format size, but it is allowed to supply more pages if they are stacked. In Masterclass the judges start out with assessing if there is agreement between the model and the supplied documentation. Only models that display this agreement will be subjected to the final judgement. The final judgement is done with the same criteria as in the other classes.
- It is important to fill out the form completely. Even a 4th, 5th or 6th place can be determining for which model win in the end.
Classes for ArosOpen 2024
Military vehicles and equipment
A1: Military vehicles in 1/35 scale or larger from before 1946 – Allied
A2: Military vehicles in 1/35 scale or larger from before 1946 – Axis powers
A3: Military vehicles in 1/35 scale or larger from 1946 onwards
A4: Military vehicles smaller than 1/35 scale
A5: Military vehicles in dioramas of all sizes
A6: Military equipment of all sizes
B1: Aircraft in 1/72 scale or smaller
B2: Aircraft in 1/48 scale from before 1946
B3: Aircraft in 1/48 scale from 1946 onwards
B4: Aircraft in 1/35 scale or larger
B5: Civilian aircraft of all sizes
B6: Aircraft in dioramas of all sizes
C1: Civilian cars/motorcycles larger than 1/43 scale
C2: Civilian trucks larger than 1/43 scale
C3: Civilian vehicles in 1/43 scale or smaller
D1: Ships outside of dioramas
D2: Ships in dioramas
Figures and Busts (Note: NOT Sci-Fi/Fantasy)
E1: Figures outside of dioramas
E2: Figures in dioramas
Figures and Busts (Sci-Fi/Fantasy)
F1: Sci-Fi/Fantasy figures
F2: Sci-Fi/Fantasy busts
F3: Sci-Fi/Fantasy vessels, vehicles, and equipment
G1: Miscellaneous (outside of categories)
G3: Theme class 2023 “RED”
G4: Masterclass. Here, the model is not solely judged based on construction techniques. It must be documented, and the evaluation also includes the accompanying documentation. The documentation should be a maximum of A4 size, regardless of the number of pages.
G5: Special class – Danish Military Vehicles – Sponsored by Kjeld Pedersen
G6: Special class – Danish Military Aircraft – Sponsored by Harvard Danmark